skip to content »

Sexual dating violence

sexual dating violence-33

For the full definition of sexual violence and various forms of sexual violence, see Executive Order 1095, which can be found at: Partner Violence Intimate partner violence is any physical, verbal, or sexual abuse by a current or former dating or romantic partner. Sexual violence may or may not include physical force and may be committed by your partner, a stranger or an acquaintance.

2) Myth: If a person goes to someone’s room or house or goes to a bar, s/he assumes the risk of sexual assault.If something happens later, s/he can’t claim that s/he was raped or sexually assaulted because s/he should have known not to go to those places.Fact: This “assumption of risk” wrongfully places the responsibility of the offender’s action with the victim. If you have experienced any sexual act against your will and without your full consent, you may be a victim of sexual violence – even if you were unable to give consent because of alcohol or other causes. What will happen to an individual who commits sexual/dating violence? What protection do I have under federal law (Title IX)?• Make a report to the University by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity at (916) 278-2843.

OEO will conduct any subsequent investigation on behalf of the University.

For the full definition of stalking, see Executive Order 1095, which can be found at: more information go to edu/titleix • Your immediate safety is first. The advocate can provide emotional support, connect you to needed services, assist with reporting if desired, explain your rights and maintain confidentiality.

• Call someone you trust, like a friend or a member of your family. Medical care is important, in case you are injured and to protect against sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy. If you decide not to go to the police right away, write down everything you remember about what happened and save it in case you change your mind.

You may be a victim of intimate partner violence if you: • Are frightened by your partner’s temper • Have been hit, kicked or shoved by your partner • Think it is your fault when your partner treats you badly or hurts you.

• Have excessive calls or texts from your partner wanting to know where you are at all times.

Campus police can be reached at 911 or (916) 278-6900 for emergencies and (916) 278-6851 for non-emergencies.